Saturday, September 12, 2009

in the begining...my virgin post

Hello, and welcome to the first ever post of Intersex and the City. I have created this blog to create awareness and generate discussion about an issue that is very near and dear to my heart, intersexuality. If you have never heard the term intersex before, I am not surprised. We are systematically hid from society. For those who do not know, intersex people are people who were born with physically ambiguous sexual traits. They can have male and female aspects to their chromosomes, gonads or genitals (I was born with ambiguity in all three). It is the new PC term for hermaphrodite (I am very sorry if I offend any of my fellow intersexuals, but I sometimes use that term because it gets people's attention and they immediately have some idea of what I'm talking about).

So you know where I am coming from in future posts, I will tell you some of my history. I was born with very atypical mosaic chromosomes. Like most intersexuals with ambiguous genitals, I underwent surgery as an infant, and hormones as an adolescent to appear female.

I will try to post every week, so I hope you will follow it. I also encourage you to comment, especially if you disagree with me, the more ideas and discussion we can generate, the better. I will do my best to respond to any comments and questions you might have. I hope you enjoy my blog.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're doing this blog!! This is something I've never spent much time thinking about. As a teacher, I should. Thanks for having the courage to put this all out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and have added it to Intersex News blog list. Kind regards, Curtis.

    ReplyDelete