Monday, June 14, 2010

the importance of humor

Hello all, I'm sorry I haven't done an entry in a while, but I am running out of topics and don't want to become repetitive. Today I'm sending a piece of advice to my fellow intersexuals, or really anyone in an awkward position, that advise is to use humor.

My personal situation where humor was useful was in the doctors office (as these stories often are). I was in for a sonogram to get a better look at my uterus (a small, misshapen organ referred to by doctors as a "shadow uterus" which is in and of itself a funny term). The technician who was doing it did not know that I was intersexed (and I didn't feel like enlightening a total stranger). All she knew was that doctors orders prohibited her from using the vaginal probe. In any case I was feeling very awkward, so while she was looking at the screen, I asked if it was a boy or a girl when I was obviously not there due to a pregnancy. This broke the ice, she laughed and said it was twins, one of each.

Thus my advise to deal with these situations is to never underestimate the power of a joke, a little humor goes a long ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment